Monday, January 16, 2012

Evelyn Louise Boehm

On Friday, August 19th 2011, I received the phone call that Holly's water had broken while at Bojangle's.  I immediately knew my niece/nephew was destined for greatness since the labor was kicked off after a delicious feasting on seasoned fries.


I was at my parents' house in Kernersville and Brian was at home in NYC, scheduled to fly in the following weekend around Holly's due date.  We called airlines and searched for flights down that night, but there wasn't a seat to be had.  So sadly, Brian had to participate from afar.

It was one of the most exciting phone calls of my life and I instantly started packing my bags for Charlotte.  I had visions of missing the arrival by a matter of minutes.  I think we all did.  But the sweet baby had different plans and was taking plenty of time to prepare for the scariness of our world.  Poor Holly was a rock star and went through a natural labor for a longggg time.


Thanks to Evie's patience, Steve, Mary, and I were able to get some sleep (with clothes, make-up, and lights on; ready for a mad dash to the hospital -- reference Steve Martin in Father of the Bride Part II for a visual).  We enjoyed a nice pancake breakfast and coffee while trying to keep nerves in check.  Around 8am the next morning, we arrived at the hospital and settled into the waiting room, computers and books in hand.  Holly's sweet parents had been at the hospital most of the night and Bonnie's story of their race to Charlotte is one of my favorites of all time :).  They were so excited, the overnight bags they had packed weeks before didn't make it into the car with them.

Hours passed and Holly was just as kind in labor as she always is, letting us come in to visit and see how they were doing.  Greg was calm and collected, ensuring his bride had everything she needed.  And my fingers were getting plenty of exercise as I texted with Brian and our cousin Kerri, keeping them updated on baby news.

My most vivid memories of the day are derived from the feelings and emotions in the waiting room.  I can only imagine what that day was like for Greg and Holly, so that is not my story to share.  As I lounged in my chair with the two sets of soon-to-be first-time grandparents, tales of childhood floated around with intermittent moments of anxiety.  I do not have the adequate words to describe the joy and excitement I saw in them that day.  But I can say without a doubt, that day was one of the five best they have ever and will ever have, and I feel so blessed to have been able to share it with them.


My heart was bursting with love as I imagined the relationship I hoped to have with my niece/nephew.  I have always been so close to my Aunt Genny, Aunt Beth, and Aunt Linda, and I desire to have the same relationship with my siblings' children.  As Evie's favorite aunt (by default), I feel a strong sense of duty to always be there for her, through thick and thin, all the days I am blessed to spend with her.


No one knew the sex of the baby and the last few hours of the wait were spent playfully arguing back and forth on what "it" would be.  As the sun was setting, and we peaked out the window at the city skyline, a beautiful shade of pink consumed the sky and we all agreed that could be the sign of a girl.


Evie was born at 9:30pm on August 20th.  Greg walked down the hall with his video camera and announced, "Evie Lou", and I think we all couldn't believe the Boehm trend of males had been broken.  Shouts and squeals of delight filled the room, tears of joy were shed, and we all congratulated the new dad.  Brian was able to hear the announcement on the phone and could not have been more excited (and shocked).


We were able to go back and see Holl and the baby after about an hour.  Holly looked amazing; I still think she hired a stunt double :).  We all took turns meeting Evie and marveling at how beautiful she was.  A new life had joined ours and everything would forever be different...forever be better.  A new baby means innocence, hope, a beginning.  A new baby means unconditional love, need, and faith...the way we are to approach our relationship with God.  And a new baby is a reminder that there is still good in this world, even when it is hard to see.















And no, I'm sorry, Evie will not be getting a cousin for awhiiiiile.
Unless Mike has some news? :)


1 comment:

Lauren said...

Sara--this is such a sweet post and I love the new blog! You will be an incredible aunt and she is lucky to have you in her life :) Miss you guys and hope the trip has been a blast!

Love, Lauren (and Jeff too!)

Post a Comment