Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pulling a Giada

Well I took a nice long break because I just didn't feel like writing this week.  Any time my fingers were itching to type, there was a freight forwarding contract that needed attention and it won.  But, I thought sharing my #1 chef technique might get me back into the spirit of blogging as well as perhaps, cooking?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...one thing at a time.

#1 Chef Technique: “Pulling a Giada” 
Defined as the art of distracting your dinner guest from the food you prepared.

This technique can be applied to boyfriend, friend, spouse.
In my case...



...Brian, not Evie :)

Have you ever seen Giada DeLaurentiis on the cooking channel? I'm going to guess that you have.  And if you have, then you have also seen her low cut shirts and the way she describes her food as 'succulent' and 'seductive'.  And don’t pretend that you haven’t noticed.  The girl can cook but I am convinced that any male watching her show is not doing so for the recipe alone.   

When I see that something I am cooking leaves much to be desired, I will originally try to determine how to salvage it.  If it cannot be done, I begin to think of all the ways I can 'pull a Giada' and keep Brian from noticing too much about the food.  My options include but are not limited to:
  • think of a finance question to ask Brian right about the time I set his plate down
  • mention the word “baby” in any capacity
  • serve him alcohol before dinner
  • make him wait to eat until he's famished
  • wear a Giada outfit
It works.  You can use it on anyone -- create an illusion or distraction and then serve them dinner.  They will rarely notice much about the food.

This is a dish so easy it has never required me to pull a Giada, so as the first recipe I am sharing on here, you should rest assured knowing it is a winner.  We even tried it out on our guinea pigs, John and Kate, a few weeks ago.  It is healthy and can also be modified with whatever flavors you are in the mood for.


Super-Healthy-McSteamy
(it's really just Steamed Fish)

Ingredients:
  • 4 fillets whitefish (Tilapia, etc.)
  • white wine
  • 1 orange
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 red onion
  • butter
  • aluminum foil
  • guacamole (or whatever topping you want - salsa, hummus, etc.)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 or 375 degrees (we have an older oven, so adjust accordingly)
  • Tear 4 squares of aluminum foil (about 1 ft x 1 ft)
  • Thinly slice zucchini and onion and place on the center of each of the four sheets
  • Place a dab of butter and salt & pepper on top of the vegetables
  • Put 1 fish fillet on top of the vegetables on each piece of foil; add another dab of butter and salt & pepper
  • Zest orange evenly over the top of the fish
  • Crimp the edges of the aluminum foil to seal up the fish, but leave one end open a little
  • Add splash of white wine into the open end
  • Seal the foil tightly and place in oven (baking sheet not required) for 30-40 minutes
  • Unwrap (foil will be hot), top with guacamole (or whichever topping you choose) 
  • Enjoy!
And y'all, if it sounds hard it's because I didn't type it well.  You can't really mess this up even if you don't follow the exact directions! 



1 comment:

Lauren said...

This recipe looks great! And, easy to pull together which is just what I need! However, I am not sure our new baby oven will be able to handle all that fish, ha.

Post a Comment