Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Speaker on the Subway

I. love. the subway.

Those of you who see me commuting around the city know that I tend to fall into the trap of cabs.  But this is mainly due to a) always running late, b) my aversion to being cold, and c) not knowing my way around the subway. 

I should probably be a lot more comfortable with it by now, but it still intimidates me if it isn’t one of my usual routes.  And don’t ever expect me to just know which train I should be taking based off my destination.  I will guarantee that I don’t make it there without at least 1-2 wrong trains added in. 

But I do love the subway.  I love peering around the tracks to watch the gigantic rats crawl about the treasures people have discarded -- underwear, books, cups, the occasional jacket.  I even contributed to the collection a few months ago when I lost my shoe in the train door.  I had to wear my father-in-law’s glove on my foot to go up the stairs (thanks, Steve) and then Brian carried me to the nearest shoe store so we would still make it to the play on time.  Yes, everyone thought I was a tourist.  Yes, I know I deserved it by trying to get on the train after the doors were 90% closed.  But what can ya do?

My favorite thing about the subway however, is the guest speakers.  There are some crazies, don’t get me wrong, and you have to be cautious as to what you choose to listen to.  But every now and then, you get a good one.  And today was one of those days where I am so glad I took the F train at that exact time on this exact day.  I don’t know his name, but I wish I did.  I wish I had shared how much I needed to hear his words this morning, but I didn’t, so I will have to thank him through this post. 

He spoke about unconditional love.  He spoke about Christ's life, His love for us, and His death for us.  And on this Tuesday of Holy week, it was a great reminder of what is really important.  That even in the midst of our rushing around and panicking about meetings, bills, jobs, lack of jobs, children, appearance, etc., that we are loved no matter who we are and what we do.  We hear the message at church, but how often do we carry it forward into our everyday life? I know I do not do it enough.  I fall into the trap of worrying about things that simply need not be worried about.  What does worry get us anyway? Ulcers.  

I don’t know who else on the train was listening, and the crowd was diverse and I’m sure some beliefs did not align.  But even if just one person heard a sentence that the man was speaking today and feels like he/she is being led to explore it further, then God bless!  And that man will never know if his 10 minute monologue about Christ dying for our sins inspired anyone to seek Him, but that’s okay.  We often don’t know who is listening or watching us, but people do watch, and they do listen.  So why not make it count?

We worship God when we realize just how much He loves us; by seeking to understand “how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is” (Ephesians 3:18 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment