Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Past Two Years

When Brian and I were seniors in college, we didn't really know what we wanted to do for work.  We studied business management -- my focus was Supply Chain and Brian's were Finance and Marketing.  But at that point, I still thought I wanted to be a teacher or something totally unrelated to what I went to college for.  Brian decided to apply to our consulting company and encouraged me to do the same.  We went through the same cycle of interviews and Brian received his offer on a sunny afternoon in April 2007.  Meanwhile after hearing his joyous news, I sat anxiously awaiting a call I didn't think would come.  But it did! God is so very good.  We started on the same day, attended training together, and proceeded to never work in the same state at the same time for the entire 3 years we were both there. 

About a year into it, Brian started getting an itch to do something else.  He wasn't entirely sure what he wanted to do, but he knew consulting was not the career he saw himself in for the long haul.  So, he decided to pursue his MBA and figure it out while he was partying and pretending to study ;).  The application process was grueling and I didn't envy the time he spent writing essays, reading the GMAT book, or contemplating schools that would be the right fit for him, yet also allow me to transfer with my job.  But his determination and dedication are inspiring, and I don't take for granted how blessed I am to have a husband who wants to work so hard to provide for his family. 

Moving to NYC was a daunting prospect.  Exciting, but filled with uncertainty and change.  It's not a cheap place to live, and I don't recommend doubling your expenses while simultaneously halving your income if you can help it.  But, we looked at it as an adventure, albeit an expensive one, and agreed as we said goodbye to our home of almost two years, that we know God put us exactly where we needed to be. 

You learn a lot about yourself, your spouse, and your marriage when you move away from home.  I have always said that I think everyone should live alone for some period of their life, even if it's only for a month, because you learn so much about who you are with no one else's opinions to sway your own.  Moving out of NC where we both grew up is something I have added to my list of adventures I think married couples should conquer.  Gone are the guarantees of the usual Saturday night activities or Sunday evening dinners with family.  Gone is the ease of calling your parents to fix something or bring you that dress you forgot.  Replaced is a sense of dependency on one another and a need to explore new facets of your life as a "we."  This doesn't mean I recommend staying away from your loved ones long, and the feelings of homesickness definitely lingered in my bones for the better part of the first year.  But, I wouldn't trade what we gained from "going it alone" as they say.  Was it always easy? Absolutely not.  But what do you ever really learn from easy things?

I'll get into some of the greatest takeaways -- good and bad -- from our experience as soon as I bring myself to upload pictures from the camera.  But, I will mention that come August, we are moving to Arizona where we lived last summer! This means I'll be forcing you to venture out for a visit :).  It wasn't an easy decision to make, but we are thrilled with Brian's job out there and couldn't say no.  It's a bit scary to head into the unknown where we truly have zero friends or family, but God is working for the good in our lives all the time.  He will provide :)  xx

2 comments:

Laura said...

As sad as I am to see you guys leave the East coast I am super excited for you and Brian and the opportunity and new life that lies ahead of you both! God works in mysterious ways and He will lead you through this new chapter in life. I'm excited to make my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and many more trips out to PHX and your new home! I love you guys!

Leslie Nichols said...

I 100% agree with you! While Zack and I are only out here in Denver for 6 months, which is coming to an end in just a few short weeks, it has been amazing for us as a couple. We too had only lived in NC and had our family there as well. It has been such a growing experience for us, and I while I can't wait to get back to NC, I do not regret moving out here one bit, and will even kind of miss it! You and Brian are such great people, and I know you will not have any problem meeting people! The best thing for us was just putting ourselves out there. Introduced ourselves to our neighbors, joined a church and I volunteered a lot. I even met some girls through one of those meet up groups. And of course Zack bonded with work buddies. We said the same thing when we moved out here that we didn't know a single sole, but it was amazing how many people we knew that knew someone! I can't promise you the same with Arizona, but you might be pleasantly surprised! You probably know all this already, especially since you have already uprooted to NYC, but I figured I would just share. I wish you two the best of luck in your new adventures! xo

Post a Comment