Friday, September 7, 2012

KoRn, Corn, & a Casablanca Cab Story

I bet I got at least one new reader, solely because they were curious what type of whackjob was behind this operation.  Well friends, these three things will be connected -- poorly maybe -- but connected none the less.  I will also learn whether or not my mom and Aunt Genny really read my blog (they claim to, but I have my doubts).

Last month, our final day in Morocco was spent in Casablanca.  We were greeted outside a Mosque by a very nice cab driver named Zakaria.  I will never forget him as long as I live and hearing his stories of travel, days in Morocco, and views on life left you with the taste of what it is like to truly feel at peace with who you are, decisions you have made, and what you have...not what you don't.  We spent an hour with him, riding around and visiting the places he recommended.  Eventually we exchanged well wishes, bid him farewell, and parted ways. 

A few hours later, Brian went to our hotel while I decided I needed a snack.  I made my way across the street and lo and behold...there was a kitten.  Now there are cats EVERYWHERE in Morocco, but this was different...he was alone and clearly in need of medical attention.  I was desperately at a loss for what to do and just as complete confusion swept through my body, guess who came waltzing by from the bakery? Zakaria! He found a box, helped me get the kitten, drove me to my hotel and waited with me while Brian came down so we could take him to the vet.  Two hours later, three closed vets, a pharmacy, and a pit stop to pick up another kitten (failed attempt), and we ended up finding a place for him to live.



After our cat adventure, Zakaria being the kind host he was, invited us to dinner at his home.  And this is where I learn if Mom reads my blog because.....we went.  Sometimes you just have to trust people.  This is also a good way to wind up in someone's trunk, so I am by no means advocating that you go home with men you don't know.  But we felt peace about the situation and I had my strapping husband with me, so what was there to worry about? 

It was one of the best experiences of my life.  His family was beyond welcoming, and so kind to share their Ramadan dinner and home with us.  I sat in the kitchen with his wife and daughter while the men retreated to the living room.  We ate with our hands from a delicious selection of fish, bread, and things I don't know the name of.  Brian has long been encouraging me to be more adventurous with food, and I think I satisfied this request.  The whole evening was one I will carry with me through life.  It will serve as a reminder that people are truly good, that God is always good, and that stepping outside your comfort zone is usually good.






Speaking of being adventurous with food, I learned to eat corn on the cob a few weeks ago.  Literally on the cob.  I have spent 27 years cutting it off, and boy have I been missing out.  The flavors and juices are completely absent from corn cut off.  It's totally worth excusing yourself to floss in the washroom after.  It's so good you might not even want to floss.  So if you have been avoiding the cob, do yourself a favor and welcome it.

Speaking of corn...I heard a KoRn song in a store last week in Memphis.  It popped into my head yesterday and I felt the need to Wikipedia it on my phone after it got washed away by a wave.  Then I decided to Wikipedia Brian "Head" Welch, who was a co-founder of KoRn.  In 2005, after a long bout with alcohol, drugs, and legal troubles, he found Christ.  He gave up KoRn and left to sing for Jesus.  He locked himself in a hotel room and kicked his addiction alone, with God's help, and he has been recording Christian music (that sounds like KoRn music) for the past seven years.  You should check him out if you ever liked KoRn.  Or even if you didn't, maybe you will like this.  He recently changed his band name to 'Love and Death'.  Give it a shot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Informative article, totally what I wanted to find.

my web-site; Apartments in Gazipasa

Anonymous said...

My family every time say that I am wasting my time here at web, but I know I am getting experience all
the time by reading such fastidious posts.

Take a look at my web-site :: job search
Also see my web page: jobs in uk

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;)
I may return once again since I bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the
greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide
other people.

my webpage locksmiths in salt lake city

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the so much important info for me.
And i'm glad studying your article. But want to commentary on few general issues, The website style is ideal, the articles is truly nice : D. Good activity, cheers

my web site xxx videos

Post a Comment