Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You Can't Change People...

We are already having issues with the company we rent our condo through.
Not to mention the fact it took 3 attempts to get it cleaned properly -- yes, I am a tough critic, but what can I say, I didn't want to put my dishes on the dead bug in the cabinet.
And now 4 weeks later, we are still trying to get a wall painted.
This wall looks like a mass murder took place.
I'm exaggerating a bit, because it isn't blood.
But if the paint were red, it would look that way.

And today I had to talk myself down from a ledge after a very rude response came back, weeks after multiple unreturned phone calls to the company.

My flaws and weaknesses are brought to my attention frequently.
But never more clearly than when I deal with difficult people.

I could feel Satan smiling and cheering for me as I read the email with rage and a series of expletives filled my head.
Not because it's paint. 
But because I get that way when I deal with customer service (you know, where the job is to serve the customer) and they aren't giving me what I want being nice.
This is a weakness.
Huge.
Because anyone who saw my initial b**** reaction would certainly not think highly of me. 
They definitely would not have wanted to be my new friend (reference last week's post).
And I would have been a stumbling block in their path if this is how I respond as a christian.

This was on my mind a lot during the whole "support day" at Chic-Fil-A.
Did that day show love?
I would argue that the intent to support the restaurant's beliefs got lost in the shuffle of posts like, "Chic-Fil-A never tasted so good" and other comments that made me steer clear of the mob that day.

I think about this a lot.  Many times, too late.  After I have demonstrated bad behavior while sporting my cross necklace. 
Does this mean I should be fake and put on a front?
Nope.
It means I should improve my actions.
More specifically, my REactions.
Because you cannot change people.  You can only change how you react to them.

All day long, I am challenged with this at work.  I struggle with how to respond -- to the angry client, unpleasant flight attendant, tired hotel clerk, etc.
The challenge follows me home -- to Brian, my family, my friends.
When all I really want to do is yell, it can be exhausting figuring out how to get my point across in a respectful manner.
And often times, all that comes across is my point with no respect. 
But if I start at the root, work on my thoughts, and change how I WANT to respond, my actual reaction will be a piece of cake.  And a much better piece at that :)

So let's stop condemning each other.
Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.
Romans 14:13




2 comments:

Denise Lopatka said...

ah sara. such a breath of fresh air. thanks for the honest and uplifting post today! esp when i'm all down and dreary over at GI :)

Sara said...

Girl, you are never down and dreary! I needed your words this week :)

Post a Comment