Friday, December 14, 2012

Faith in Tragedy

I was in the middle of working on a blog post about peace and forgiveness when I heard about the tragic elementary school shooting.  
All I felt for 30 solid seconds was anger, rage, hate, and anything but forgiveness.  
Who could do that to children? How could there be so much evil in the world? 
And you can understand the question, "why would God let this happen?".

I feel outrage at our gun laws that mass shootings have become so common.  
I feel overwhelming sadness for the families who lost their child.  
I feel devastated for every person who was there today who will be haunted by this tragedy for years to come.  

I could go on and on about how I feel.  But instead I will focus on what I know...

I know that God's heart was broken today too.  
I know that God is angry, just like we are.  
I know that those were His children.
I know that He is holding them closely right now.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

God is watching over the families and putting prayers in our hearts to lift them up.  
He is teaching us that even though anger feels so right, we are called to forgive.
We are called to have faith in the unseen.
God is good all the time even when we do not see or feel it.  
His timing is perfect
His plan is perfect.  
He loves us unconditionally.







2 comments:

D Keats said...

I lost both my children last year and of course the question of how god could allow this to happen was on my mind. I was told something that made so much sense to me at the time and it was that God doesn't take children in these horrific ways but he is there to accept them into his loving arms when these things happen. I believe that. There are forces of good and evil in this world, and this was an evil act no question. My heart breaks for the families of the victims as well as all of the people affected by this horrible tragedy. My prayers are with them.

Sara said...

That's beautifully put, Darice. You are able to relate to what they feel and I can't even begin to imagine it. Thank you for sharing, I am learning so much from you.

Post a Comment